Here is an educational video of what Type 1 Diabetes is:
There are a lot of misconceptions regarding Type 1 Diabetes (T1D). It is often confused with Type 2 diabetes, which has gotten A LOT of attention through media and public awareness campaigns. Understandably so, as there has been somewhat of an epidemic of Type 2 Diabetes, more importantly Type 2 Diabetes is related to lifestyle and is thus preventable AND reversible. Type 1 is neither of those things.
The main differences between Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes:
- Type 1 Diabetes usually affects young patients, while Type 2 mostly affects the older population.
- Type 1 Diabetes is an autoimmune disease where the immune system attacks its own body’s insulin-producing cells in the pancreas, while Type 2 is often due to obesity.
- Type 1 is permanent, while Type 2 can be reversible with exercise and a healthy diet.
- Patients with Type 1 are insulin dependent for the rest of their life, without insulin they will die, while Type 2 is merely insulin resistant.
- There is no cure for Type 1!
I wish media would make an effort of differentiating these two diseases when creating their materials to reduce the confusion amongst the public.